Starr Street was first developed in 1804, when developer William Culver sold some of his land following a fire. A rope factory was built on one side of the street and five residential homes on the other. After the factory closed, an additional three residences were built in its place. As architects were hard to come by in early 1800s America, these houses were actually designed by local carpenters using plans from French and English architects. As New London came into hard times in the 1970s, Starr Street was scheduled for demolition. The Savings Bank of New London came to the rescue, buying and restoring most of the historic houses. The city contributed as well by connecting Starr Street to its modern utilities grid. Starr Street became New London's first Historic District in 1981. Today, the homes on Starr Street are privately owned, and the owners are required to preserve its historic character.
Original Survey of Starr Street
This original survey of Starr Street from 1835 and 1876 shows how the area has evolved over the years. It shows plots of land with property lines and handwritten information explaining the subdivision. As one note explains, for example, a couple of…
Starr Street Doors
This pamphlet helps us to understand each house’s personality and history through images and notes about the original owners. The houses were built for average people such as grocers and school teachers. The decline and subsequent restoration of each…
Starr Street: A Savings Bank of New London Community Project
This booklet documents the renovation of Starr Street commissioned by the Savings Bank of new London. Notable images include a fold out showing before and after elevations of each house as well as a page showing the "typical floor plans" of the…